The purpose of Tutor Services at SUNY Schenectady is two-fold:
- To support and assist those students who require academic assistance so that they may successfully complete their educational goals;
- To provide meaningful employment in peer tutoring for successful and accomplished students.
Tutor Services provides weekly tutoring sessions in many courses using Upswing, a scheduling software, for both in-person and online tutoring.
This service is provided free to all registered students, whether full- or part-time, day or evening students. Peer (student) tutors are faculty approved and trained by the Academic Services staff. Well-trained peer tutors serve a vital role in helping fellow students reach their academic goals.
Tutor Services also provides Professional Tutors, individuals who have completed their course of study and are considered expert in their respective fields.
Note: students seeking walk-in tutoring without prior appointment can visit the Math Lab or the Accounting and CIS Labs. Walk-in tutoring in many other subjects is available at the Learning Center/Writing Lab.
Information for how to sign up for tutoring can be found below or downloaded here, and is available in Begley Library, Room 210.
Welcome to SUNY Schenectady's NEW Tutor Scheduling Software!
WELCOME TO UPSWING!
SUNY Schenectady’s new software to find a one-to-one tutor.
Please note: You are allowed one hour per week, per course, for up to 3 courses.
In just a few easy steps:
- Go to: https://sunysccc.upswing.io
- Log in with your MYSCCC login information (Your portal information)
- Click on “Meet with a Tutor”
- Search the course you want a tutor for (ex: MAT 085 or College Algebra, etc.)
- Click on a tutor's name (look for “Schenectady County Community College Tutor” under the name, as these are our SUNY Schenectady staff, the others are Upswing Coaches who only do online sessions)
- Click on “Schedule” under tutors name and verify information:
Select a Date, Time, Duration: “60 minutes” (Remember, all sessions are one hour)
Type: “In person” Location: “Begley Library”
- Click "Schedule"
Please note: Appointments must be made at least 72 hours in advance!
7a. Other search option: Click on the circle toggle button to filter results by date, time, type, and location to schedule a session.
- The tutor will get the request email and then will respond. You will then get an email with that confirmation. It will be sent to to your SUNY Schenectady e-mail address!
- To make a weekly appointment, repeat Step 6-7 for each week you want a tutor. Book early, and book for a majority or all of the semester if possible.
- Go to 203 BEGLEY (2nd floor of the library) and have an awesome tutoring session.
Please schedule your sessions at least 72 hours in advance.
(Please book tutoring sessions for the entire semester, it is highly recommended for consistency and effectiveness.)
Should you have any questions or accessibility issues, please contact the
Please note that by using the Upswing system you are agreeing to the terms found here:
1:1 Tutoring Contract
Are you Interested in being a Peer Tutor?
- Excel in certain subject areas?
- Want to help fellow classmates?
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher?
- Have at least two completed semesters at SUNY Schenectady?
- Want to make some extra cash between classes?
If you’ve answered YES to all of these questions, then we want you! Just complete the Peer Tutor Application
and e-mail it to the interim Director of Academic Services, Michelle Ragucci: RaguccML@sunysccc.edu
OR drop off your application in person to the Learning Center, Elston 523.
Each subject or course you’d like to tutor requires a recommendation from a professor, so be sure to contact your current or former instructor(s) and attach each recommendation to the application or include in your e-mail correspondence.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Michelle Ragucci, interim Director of Academic Services at 518-381-1249 or RaguccML@sunysccc.edu.